We got an ice cream maker as a gift this past holiday season from my mother-in-law and it's moving up in the ranks of fun kitchen toys to play and experiment with (I'm still enjoying the electric pressure cooker I got a few birthdays ago from my wife -- other posts to follow on this item).
Typically, I try to read beyond the manual finding some online links and some books from the local library to understand how the new toy works and what kind of tasty frozen treats I can make. Here's 3 books I found that have been quite useful:
1. The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
2. The Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto by F. W. Pearce & Danilo Zecchin
3. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer
Each have a wide range of amazing delicious-sounding recipes to try. Each take their own approach to making them.
The difference between Lebovitz & Pearce/Zecchin's methods is more to do with the order of incorporating the ingredients -- milk, cream, half & half, sugar, eggs, flavorings and chocolate when used.
JBB breaks things down a little differently in #3 by removing eggs from the equation but adding in some cream cheese and corn syrup that makes putting a batch together somewhat easier IMHO.
I've made the following:
Ice Creams
Coffee
Blood Orange
Vanilla Bourbon with Spicy Pecans
Chocolate Mint
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Sorbets
Chocolate Tangerine
Some advice
1. Get yourself some dedicated containers -- you'll want to have more than one flavor available :-) While I did get myself two 5 cup Rubbermaid containers I am still considering some generic non-plastic ones.
2. I like JBB's method of chilling your mixture in a gallon-size ziploc bag. More surface area gets exposed to get the temperature down quicker -- even more so if you choose to sit the bag in an ice bath before doing a long chill. Try to chill your mixture in the fridge overnight before freezing it -- it really helps the ice cream set up.
4/09/2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment